Re: Beelzebub:Tuba Solo w/ Band Accompaniment.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Hoog on January 25, 1999 at 18:27:42:

In Reply to: Beelzebub:Tuba Solo w/ Band Accompaniment. posted by Josh Whitlow on January 21, 1999 at 20:46:30:

The composer A. Catozzi was an Italian composer; unfortunately in this case this was not the real name of the composer. I'm trying to remember the true name, it was someone famous a la Henry Fillmore; whoever it was,he used a pseudonym because of contractual hinderances to his composing for other than his normal publisher. It's a standard, "war-horse" theme and variations piece, stylistically quite common in the early 20th century.

In other words, it's a relatively innane piece, not garbage but nothing to make it stand out. It's a solid example of the early 20th c. style for solo instrumental pieces. The fact that it was written for Eb bass (Eb tuba) shows that it was written for someone with quite good technical ability, and this person was of sufficient stature as a musician to justify "wasting" a piece on solo tuba. This was UNHEARD of!! (:

The pseudonym bit is true, as far as I can recall. I just can't remember the composer's real name.

Follow Ups: