Re: Practice interval

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean Norman on February 01, 1999 at 00:07:02:

In Reply to: Practice interval posted by Jay on January 30, 1999 at 00:20:01:

There is nothing that can improve your playing more than practicing!

That said, I think that how much you practice is not as important as how you choose to use that time (how you practice). I've found, in my 18 years, that time is very interesting. It can, if used right, be very effective. MUCH can be done in a very short period of time! That's the beautiful thing! You can grow incredible amounts without putting in a ton of time. For me it's been a matter of focus, which is sometimes very difficult to achieve (I suggest reading 'The Inner Game of Tennis' by Timothy Galwey for a deeper understanding of focus)and most times cannot be TRIED for.

Another interesting idea is that you don't have to be behind your horn to get some of this work done! When I was in junior high and high school I played 13 instruments all together. I knew every fingering for every one. Each day, without trying, I would end up playing the same tune on a different instrument in a different key. One day I'd be in Eb, the next I'd be in D...so on. The interesting part is that I'd never actually pick up have of those instruments and really play them. I'd just hear the tune in my head and finger it on the "instrument" which wasn't even in my hands. Yes, I was a dork in junior high and high school, but I was also first chair on whatever instrument I was playing. Mind you, I didn't TRY to do this...it just ended up happening that way...I had things stuck going through my head all day, even if I was doing something else.

Also, recently I've found that whistling a tune is an interesting idea. It's HARD AS HELL to do in tune! Most people don't realize, and I didn't until I really payed attention, but when you whistle, 95% of the time, the intonation is HORRID! While you're at work, whistle a tune, but listen to it and think of the interval you're whistling. Try to whistle it in tune...it's hard! Then, the next time you pick up the horn, I'd bet your intonation is a little better. Either that or you're noticing that some of the intervals you play are out of tune (hence making the intonation better).

Anyway, there are two ideas I thought I'd throw out there as far as how much time you spend NOT practicing...and maybe turning that into semi-practice. When you ARE practicing though, there are many techniques to make it more effective. Those can be learned through private instruction.

Me personally...In junior high I would practice around 4 hours a day unintentionally. I'd just walk into the room and pick up the horn for the fun of it...never meant to improve...just wanted to play. When I was really focused in high school, I would spend up to 7 hours a day behind the horn...those were the days. Now I practice smarter, but not enough. Everytime I pick up the horn, however, I feel a deeper understanding of what I'm playing ssimply through LISTENING very, very closely in my spare time. It's not hard...it's just fun. This shouldn't be work, should it?

I guess it is...

--Šean

Follow Ups: