Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: developing the upper range for tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 02, 2000 at 21:56:52:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: developing the upper range for tuba posted by Michael Russo on January 02, 2000 at 21:27:00:

I think we're basically saying the same things, just different ways. I'm suggesting working in the high range to build it, much the same way as a weightlifter will work on a specific muscle group. I'm also suggesting using the same techniques and standards in the high range as you would in any other range (my equivalent of "relating"). As you said, the important part is to isolate the act of playing in the high range as much as possible by eliminating any other variables that would hinder working on it, such as technically difficult music, hard breathing situations, music you don't really know or like to listen to, etc.

We do disagree about the exclusivity of the range though. Using the muscle analogy, a weightlifter wouldn't work on his abs by doing arm curls. He'd focus on the specific muscle group (or the specific playing aspect) he wanted to improve. Honestly, this is exactly how I learned high range playing. I simply marked out sections of the Berlioz excerpts for tuba that had high licks and played them back-to-back every day for a while. The only benefit to playing things low when you get tired, that I can see, is the reinforcement of good technique and general musicality. While these things are good and necessary, they only help high range playing in a general way. I'm suggesting something a little more specifically targeted at the high range. The idea is to stretch your strength and endurance in the high range and help to make you feel easier when you play there.

On a side note, I really love it when a student of mine and I disagree on something. That is when I really learn the most as a teacher! Thanks Mike!

Follow Ups: