Roland Szentpali's New CD!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joshua Wirt on January 06, 2000 at 12:13:54:

I HIGHLY recommend Roland Szentpali's new CD "I Killed My Lips". I just got my copy about a week ago and man, what a great CD! The first couple tracks are solo tuba with chamber orchestra. Very nice playing from Roland and the chamber group. He does some works by Bach, Handel, and Faure. Then a couple more "traditional" works for solo tuba and piano....including a duet with Roger Bobo that is out of this world!!!!!

The last four tracks are originals of Roland's. The first is a funk tune called "The Devil Never Sleeps" where Roland uses a distortion pedal for an amazing effect on one heck of a solo. He also plays trumpet and keyboards on this one.....a multi-talented young man indeed! The next original entitled "Your Kisses Like The Fire" is an upbeat funk tune with a larger ensemble of some of Hungary's finest jazz musicians. If you like Bob Stewart and/or Maynard Ferguson.....you're gonna love this one! The third Szentpali tune is "Mi Amor", is a latin jazz tune with some really sweet playing by Roland and some screaming trumpet playing from Gabor Ciszmadia, the "Arturo Sandoval of Hungary" according to Roland. And last but not least.....Roland's encore, if you will....."Variations For A Children Song".....is an amazing ride where Roland effortlessly goes all over the tuba with the best multiphonics and articulating I've ever heard!

I highly recommend picking up this CD as soon as you can. This was the last CD I got this year and is my absolute favorite.....

One last thing.....kudos for Emily Harris and Harly Arts Promotion for such a quick turnaround on this CD order. I got it in just over a week....I live in the US and it came from Italy!!!!!!

BTW, I ordered mine from Roland's website....which I can't remember. But you can get there from www.harlyarts.com. There are also some liner notes and a couple of sound clips from the CD on the site.

Josh

Follow Ups: