Re: Warren Deck mpcs.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Will Traphagan on January 06, 2000 at 13:02:16:

In Reply to: Warren Deck mpcs. posted by Bob on January 05, 2000 at 22:53:53:

I use the Deck mouthpieces, and own 4 of them. For openers, the "F" refers to a flat rim, and there are 3 basic models; the 1, the 2,
and the 3, plus the "flat rim" variants of each. The mouthpieces are no longer in production, but you might find one for sale now and
then. Wichita Band Instruments had some gold 3F's for sale a while ago, but I don't know if they have any left. Orfeo published the
following descriptions, attributed to Warren, in their catalog.

Deck 3 — "A large cup volume with a fairly deep bowl (or U) shaped cup. Combined with a large throat this mouthpiece gives
a robust and resonant sound. It should be good at making some smaller tubas sound bigger. The rim is fairly round."
Deck 2 — "About the same cup depth as the Deck 3, but the funnel (or V) shaped cup has less volume giving a more focused
sound. The large throat takes large volumes of air well. Same rounded rim as the Deck 3."
Deck 1 — "The same cup shape and depth as the Deck 2, but with a smaller throat, making it work well for quintet or F tuba
applications. Same rounded rim profile as the other 2 models.
"The Deck 3F, 2F, and 1F are identical to the above mouthpieces, but have a flatter rim profile for those who prefer this feel."

I can give you some specs for the 3F and 1F, but these are my own measurements, thus may not be totally accurate, however they do
give you a ballpark feel for purpose of comparison.

3F — Rim i.d. = 32.7406mm; Rim width = approx. 8.5mm; Throat = 9.525mm.
1F — Same rim dimensions, and I don't have the throat dimension.
2F — ditto

Hope this is helpful... wt

Follow Ups: