mouthpieces 101

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve D on January 07, 2000 at 19:39:44:

Ok BBSers - I have a few questions & know some answers about the various terms & configurations, but I would really like to see your responses to this post, especially how each has an effect on sound and technique. Your opinions & experience are valued!

Cup (bowl) - shaped vs. funnel - shaped; shallower vs. deeper

Throat - I was always taught that this is the narrowest diameter of the opening through the mpc.

Rim - flat vs. rounded; narrow vs. wide

Bite - sharp or rounded? I prefer a rounded bite because I play with what is probably too much mpc. pressure, and a sharp bite really tires me out quickly.

Rim diameter - a smaller diameter seems to give me more security in attacks at the expense of having a SLIGHTLY "thinner" tone.

Backbore - where does it start & what effect does the size have? You often hear of brass players drilling out the backbore. Is it a good idea? Why not get a mpc. designed with the big backbore to complement its other specs?

Receiver adapters - (small-shank mpc. to large leadpipe) I have heard that these can do really odd things to the harmonics on the horn, and take what is essentially a pretty well in-tune horn and make it very squirrely. Anyone use an adapter or tried one?

If anyone knows a URL that discusses this topic, please post it. Thanks for your responses!

Follow Ups: