3/4 Blues...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on January 08, 2000 at 00:41:23:

As I've mentioned (to the point many of you are no doubt sick of hearing about it), I've just purchased a 3/4 Yamaha (YBB103). I've played a lot of trombone and euph the last 18 years, but I haven't owned a tuba in that long. I've been playing every day for about 3 weeks now, and practicing seriously (by amateur standards - 45 min. a day of etudes, 15 minutes of scales and long tones) for about a week. I've been having a terrible time with the notes from about C to G in the staff. They split and clam and just in general sound awful. I had attributed it to an embouchure problem, something that will come with face time, but today I started playing an old Eb Sousaphone I also just bought. Those notes come out clear as a bell. I am now wondering, am I just overblowing this little horn? There are two TINY dents in the leadpipe, nothing that should cause this, and no other dents until the bottom bow, and nothing major there. The sousaphone is somewhat larger bore (Yamaha is about .661, Susie is .687) and naturally the sousaphone is more openly wrapped.

Now, I know all the usual caveats, you guys haven't heard me play, haven't seen the horns, haven't seen my embouchure.... Still, what would suggest? Should I back off on the 3/4? Do I just need more splinters in my butt and tarnish on my fingers? Any exercises that you would suggest to firm up this area? Thanks for any input.

Follow Ups: