Re: Re: Perantucci PT 44 Mouthpiece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Plake on January 08, 2000 at 14:27:04:

In Reply to: Re: Perantucci PT 44 Mouthpiece posted by Tom Brekhus on January 08, 2000 at 01:01:54:

"American" style mouthpieces are any number 50 and below. They have the "v" shaped cup. "German" style mouthpieces are numbers above 50 and they have a rounded "bowl" shape cup. There are many ways people use to describe the differences, but I feel the "American" style has a warmer and dark sound. The "German" style mouthpieces have more overtones or "color" in the sound. It is up to you as to which is better. The terms have nothing to do with were the mouthpieces are made.

One word of caution. Do not make the mistake of thinking a PT-84 (german) is the same mouthpiece as a PT-44 (american) but with a different bowl shape. I will say that if anyone tries and likes a PT-42, PT-44, PT-48, or a PT-50 then you owe it to yourself to try out the mouthpieces in the 80 to 90 range. All of them work well on CC and BBb horns and it is up to you to decide what concept of sound is best for you.

For the record, the PT-64, PT-65 and the PT-72 are great mouthpieces for F and Eb use. I like the "German" style bowl on the smaller horns because of the added clarity and the "life" that they give the sound. That having been said, you should try out the mouthpieces in the 20's and 30's just to be sure.

But, as usuall, standard disclaimers apply. This is just my opinion and I in no way mean to say that there aren't other good mouthpieces that people can't do just as well if not better on.

Mike "I put the disclaimer on to keep from being flamed" Plake

Follow Ups: