Re: Re: Re: Re: Dumbo's feather?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on January 09, 2000 at 01:35:38:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Dumbo's feather? posted by Jay Bertolet on January 08, 2000 at 19:57:01:

I happened to have tried a K&M stand. I am a D.E.G. dealer (Willson / Weril, etc.), and Dan at D.E.G. told me that they have corrected the weakness in the hardware on their tuba stand just recently.

I was having to switch very fast back and forth from tuba to baritone, and I ended up with a crick in my neck. I think maybe I was sitting too far back in the chair while using the tuba stand sometimes, but also, I was directly underneath the conductor (where one might normally find the principal cellist), and was really having to contort in order to watch his baton (He's left-handed, and is also conducting over a very bulky electronically-wired console.) and otherwise function. In addition, it is a three hour show of constant music. I finally went back to my old way (with large-bodied tubas) of setting the tuba on the left corner of the chair and orienting my body towards that corner with my left leg hanging off the left side and my right leg handing off of the front of the chair.

BTW, I am using a Weril 4-valve euphonium (Yamaha copy) on this job. NO sticking valves whatsoever (even though I am just breaking it in), and superb intonation and sound. I have one low Eb (1-4 valve combination), and the #1 slide is aligned and fitted nicely enough - from the factory - to where when I play the low Eb I can easily pull the slide way out and instantly slide it in as I slur from the low Eb up to an Ab. I also have to pop out some F#'s above the staff, and that (oft-shaky) note is very secure on this instrument. I am using a 51D (large shank) with it, and it DOES just BARELY play up to pitch with that very deep-cupped (but customary) mouthpiece. I will probably speak to Dan at D.E.G. about that minor issue.

Follow Ups: