Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dumbo's feather?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 09, 2000 at 21:09:52:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dumbo's feather? posted by Tom Brekhus on January 09, 2000 at 20:16:37:

There are both types of stands you mentioned but the ones we're talking about are for playing. I don't think you are visualizing the proper use of one of these because they are very comfortable when used properly. In fact, I use mine to help maintain a consistent playing posture. The basic designs involve a generally cup shaped holder, mounted on some kind of tripod, that is positioned between the legs and that the tuba rests on. This eliminates the holding of the tuba on your lap or legs. The good stands are adjustable so that the height of the tuba can be positioned ideally to your face. When the tuba is balanced on the stand in this manner, there is almost no effort being expended by the player to hold the tuba up and in place. This really helps to alleviate any tension in the upper body that can hinder breathing efficiency. There are several minor variations on this design but the concept is pretty standard among all stands. The process is a little hard to describe but if you try one for yourself you'll understand instantly how they work.

Follow Ups: