Re: Re: Re: Is the Tuba a Solo Instrument??????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Zerkel on January 11, 2000 at 14:41:02:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Is the Tuba a Solo Instrument?????? posted by Kelly O'Bryant on January 11, 2000 at 13:18:04:

It has been very interesting to read the posts of Kelly and Pat regarding the tuba as a solo instrument. I admire them both for their tenacity to boldly go where few have gone before in their pursuit of solo careers. They have answered the original question as very few people can--as guys making their livelihood on presenting the tuba as a solo instrument.

I think, though, that for the rest of the tuba playing community, the question needs a different kind of answer. Can the tuba be successful as a solo instrument? Sure. The real answer to the question lies in the ability of the performer to say SOMETHING to the audience.

Like Eric, I have been to many conferences where I get fried on treble clef deprivation. A lot of times, there is not a whole bunch of really interesting playing at these events. I have also been to several conferences where I was just blown away by the playing. (the Army Conference w/ Jens Bjorn Larsen and Eran Levi comes to mind) What makes the difference is not what kind of instrument is being played, but rather what the performer is doing to engage the listener, mentally and emotionally.

Is this harder to do on the tuba? Yeah, you bet it is. Dave Bragunier used to tell me that we have to work twice as hard to tell the same kind of story that a brighter, higher instrument does. I believed him then as a student and I still believe him today. It's why I like to fart around on the euphonium so much...compared to the tuba, it's just so easy to make music. I realize that I am not a very good euphonium player by euphonium player standards, but it just feels so good to have the music making process flow so easily.

Most of us will not endeavor to become tuba soloists as our primary livelihood. But all of us will continue to play solos. Why? Because it makes us happy. It exercises our minds in a really fulfilling way. It is what we are wired to do. So don't apologize for the instrument...just strive to make the best music and tell the best possible story that you can. If, for you, that means playing Encounters II, go for it...just don't expect the rest of the world to go along with you.

As artists, we must find our own voice and stick with it. That won't always mean massive public approval...in fact seeking the mystical holy grail of mass appeal can be pretty funny (in a sad kind of way) when it goes bad.(Heard any good Kenny G or Michael Bolton jokes lately?) Are we failures as musicians when we only have 17 tuba majors in our audiences? Depends how the gig goes! If you leave your heart and soul on the stage and feel good about what you have done, the answer is "No".

Is the tuba a bad solo instrument? Do all short guys suck at basketball? No to both...it's just harder! Whether or not the player is willing to make up for that difference is the key.

Dave Zerkel

Follow Ups: