Re: Doublers-READ THIS PLEASE

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by chuck on January 15, 2000 at 14:33:36:

In Reply to: Doublers-READ THIS PLEASE posted by Swami on January 15, 2000 at 01:38:00:

I double on euph and bass bone. I have found that I do better playing a regular bass bone mouthpiece as opposed to a "tuba rim" mouthpiece. I can get a much better euph sound playing on a Bach 1 1/4 G rather than a hybrid mouthpiece that I tried. If you are looking for a tenor tuba sound then go for a hybrid mouthpiece. But a euph, go for a regular mouthpiece. Just be sure that the euph you are using is a large bore horn and not a tenor trombone bore otherwise you will find drastic air usage changes that will goof you up.

As far as practicing, do as little as you can on euph. Practice only enough to do what you need and that is it. I played Bydlo last season and once I learned the solo I basically only played the euph on days when I was playing with the orchestra. Make sure that when you play the euph you play on tuba before and after. This will minimize the effect that the euph has on your tuba chops.

If you have any other questions feel free to e-mail me.

Follow Ups: