Re: Doublers-READ THIS PLEASE

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Styriaton on January 17, 2000 at 10:02:43:

In Reply to: Doublers-READ THIS PLEASE posted by Swami on January 15, 2000 at 01:38:00:

I also use a Helleberg (Dillon H2B) on my BBb tuba and have found that a middle of the road euphonium mouthpiece works best for me. I am primarily a tuba player and don't play euph very often, but I found that a standard 6 1/2 AL mouthpiece seems to give me the best sound. That is probably because I don't play the euph often enough. I agree that you need to practice the "second" instrument twice as much to be comfortable switching back and forth. Also, I make sure to always end a practice session on my tuba just to stay comfortable with my tuba embouchure, especially in the low range. I warm down with some lip slurs across the lower range of my tuba. At first my mouth didn't adjust well to tuba after playing euph for a hour or more, but after time the adjustment becomes natural. I believe that a tuba player should be able to double on all low brass, and it makes you that much more employable, although I am strictly an amateur at this time. Good luck.

Follow Ups: