Re: Doublers-READ THIS PLEASE

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on January 17, 2000 at 12:29:23:

In Reply to: Doublers-READ THIS PLEASE posted by Swami on January 15, 2000 at 01:38:00:

I have been primarily a trombonist for many years, with only occasional tuba playing (mostly because I didn't own my own tuba), so I have done quite a bit of doubling for an amateur. There are many good comments already here, and the only thing I really disagree with is the idea of using a part-tuba mouthpiece in a euph. My personal OPINION is that you should get a Schilke 51D or a Bach 4G and don't look back. As to practice regimen, one thing that I try to do at least a couple of times a week is to take both horns and sit down and just play 30 seconds on one, 30 seconds on the other, mostly just scales and arpeggios (important to exercise the full range on each instrument when doing this, slurring AND tonguing) back and forth for 15 minutes or so. This is the doublers version of a slurring exercise to get the chops used to making the adjustment. Once I had been doing this for just a couple of weeks, I found I could switch effortlessly. Another thing I do is to switch horns when my embouchure gets tired. This varies the muscles being used some, but allows me to continue to work.

I think you'll really enjoy playing the smaller horn. Once you get past the embouchure issues, it's a fun and technically easier instrument to play, compared to trombone or tuba (flame throwers down, please. I don't mean that euph players don't have to have as much ability; because the instrument allows for greater facility, the parts require greater facility. It's just fun to be able to play things with medium effort on a euph that would require great effort - for me anyway - on tuba or bone, and other things with difficulty on a euph that I just plain could NOT play on tuba or bone).

Have fun, and good luck,
Joe B.

Follow Ups: