Re: Re: Re: Schilke Adjustable Cup Mouthpiece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Swensen on January 19, 2000 at 16:28:10:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Schilke Adjustable Cup Mouthpiece posted by Tim C on January 19, 2000 at 16:05:52:

I have not touched either mouthpiece, but I have been studying the designs of both with the intent of machining something of my own, some day...
As far as I can tell, the Schilke ACM has no visible threads when the piece is assembled (the long threads are internal, on the outside, rim part of the adjustment), whereas the Endsley has the long threads on the cup part of the adjustment, so you see exposed threads when the cup is adjusted deep (also, the threads are more exposed to dirt and damage). Endsley will also make the rim and shank changeable (using threads compatible with the Doug Elliot mouthpiece systems).
However, there is a school of thought, apparently followed by Doug Elliot, that the cup, throat, and backbore must be matched to each other if the mouthpiece is to play consistently in tune on a given horn. I haven't played with either of the ACMs, and I haven't made my own version, yet, so I can't comment on the degree of intonation change with different cup depths.

Follow Ups: