Re: Transpostion of music - Tools??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on January 20, 2000 at 13:57:01:

In Reply to: Transpostion of music - Tools?? posted by Charles Knight on January 19, 2000 at 17:22:21:

Also, find out if there is a bassoon or (unlikely) bari sax part that is not covered. The tuba is properly voiced to cover these parts, as it is for the bass viols.

Another approach in this situation would be to get access to a euphonium or trombone (if he doesn't play either of these, euph is about a million times easier for a tubist to learn) and play the part as written. Doubling will at least double the demand for him, especially if he wants to eventually attend a smaller college. The Jr. College I attended actually paid me $50 a week (in 1980) to play euph, easily my third best instrument, in the concert band. Also, find out if there are other parts in the bone/euph range that aren't being covered. If the orchestra needs more help on the 2nd horn parts, he could cover them on euph. You probably would want to transpose these, though in the long run your son would be well served learning to transpose from horn parts.

Follow Ups: