Re: PT-4 & G-50

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ike H. on January 22, 2000 at 01:03:24:

In Reply to: PT-4 & G-50 posted by John hreha on January 19, 2000 at 21:45:36:

I spent an afternoon comparing these two horns in a little office over at Custom Music one day. The CB-50 (G-50) was a recent purchase and I needed to be in the area anyway, so I went in to A/B these two. It's a little like apples and oranges, since the PT is a German-style rotor and the Getzen is an American style piston. They are about the same size and both work well in smaller circumstances, however the Getzen would probably do better in orchestra, as it has a much deeper sound and darker core.
The PT-4, (a better horn than the piston version of the same,IMHO)is a little brighter and less tubby sounding than the Getzen, but not as bright as the Miraphones, and has a darker core sound (than 'fones), making them a fairly flexible instrument. The intonation on the newer models is improved, allowing for standard fingering (what a concept!). I don't have much of an idea about projection, but I think anything beyond quintet or opera pit, etc. may be a stretch for this horn. The small Rudy Meinl, which would be much closer in comparison to the PT-4, because of its unique sonic qualities, would be closer to being an all-around horn, I think (I A/B'd with that one the day before at Brasswind).
Weight-wise the Getzen is fairly hefty for its size and awkward to hold, two of its very few drawbacks. But for now, I'm enjoying having a lot of power in a small package and a comfortably warm playing horn with easy to work pistons, etc. For the kinds of things that I do, this horn, or the PT-4, Rudy, or 186 all work fine.

Follow Ups: