Re: Re: Music Instrument Repair

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daryl Hickman on January 26, 2000 at 10:46:48:

In Reply to: Re: Music Instrument Repair posted by Joe S. on January 24, 2000 at 21:48:53:

Following up on Joe's comments...
I have a Master's in Music Education and tried to leave instrument repair for the "warm, fuzzy" job of being a band director. After three years of fighting with administrators for funding and equal respect for the music program, I went back to instrument repair. After all, when was the last time you saw the Science class out fund raising for new microscopes?

Anyway, I ended up going back to repair, then taking the musical instrument repair instructor position here at Renton Technical College, just outside of Seattle. Now the Shameless Plug...

Renton Technical College offers an eleven month program in band instrument repair. Students learn repair of woodwinds, brass and some percussion. We cover all aspects of repair with the exception of plating. Our facility allows for each student to have their own work bench complete with storage area and a bench motor. Included in the facility are buffing, chemical, woodworking and soldering rooms as well as a lacquer booth. Student placement is excellent with the number of jobs far exceeding the number of graduates. We draw students from many locations. Currently, the majority of students are from out-of-state with one student from Japan.
Tuition for the eleven month program is approx. $2,200.00. We do not charge out-of-state tuition. Students purchase $750.00 in tools which they take with them at the end of the program. All instruments are supplied by the college and local music stores. Part-time employment exists at local repair facilities. Yamaha is a major supplier (by donation) of instruments for our program, although students work on a variety of makes and models.

Anyone desiring more information can contact me at the following...
dhickman(AT)rtc.ctc.edu -or- call me at 425.235.2453

Musically, Daryl

Follow Ups: