Re: CB50 vs 2155 vs PT6P

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on January 31, 2000 at 10:33:36:

In Reply to: CB50 vs 2155 vs PT6P posted by on January 30, 2000 at 19:45:35:

You just named 3 of my favorite CC tubas on today's market. The 2155 and PT-6p are of the same genre. They go after the Alexander type crowd. Larger horns which are a good size for large ensemble playing, but not too large for most other venues also. Both horns are excellent players in the right hands.

The G-50, the CB-50's new name, is a different animal. It is more of a true 4/4 size, while the other 2 mentioned are more like large 4/4 or maybe even 5/4 depending on who is writing the marketing material. The G-50 plays very much like some of the older american instruments, such as York. It works very well in medium sized literature and ensembles. Originally designed as the signature horn for Chuck Daellenbach of the Canadian Brass, it has found homes in not just quintets, but also orchestras, as a secondary instrument, and in military bands as the primary instrument.

Which one do you prefer? Only you and a tape deck can make that decision. Which one do I like, for me? Well, I would prefer a PT-6p for myself, but I have a friend who plays a CB-50 which suits his playing needs very well.

As long as you keep your eyes away from 3 valved BBb Yamaha uprights, then it really is mostly personal preference.

sean

Follow Ups: