Re: NEW Conn CC Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott Mendoker on January 31, 2000 at 18:42:00:

In Reply to: NEW Conn CC Tuba posted by Matt Walters on January 31, 2000 at 09:24:36:

Living close to Dillon Music has many advantages. A big one is the fact that they are simply the best brass instrument store in the United States. Steve Dillon is consulted, on a regular basis, by the major instrument manufacturers. They work from a very high level of integrity. They have an incredible repair/restoration/creation shop headed by Matt Walters. So, having said all that.....

The NEW CONN tuba started out as the NEW KING tuba - as explained by Matt in an earlier post. Matt and company put together a new tuba - new design, using current King parts. Partly - they wanted to see if it was a viable project. The proto-types certainly were. Thru a marketing decision, UMI decided to put the Conn name on the bell instead of King.

The 3 tubas that are at Dillon's at the moment - 2 satin silver and one lacquer are all 18 in. bells. And they are FANTASTIC. Do NOT let the .687 bore fool you. Go by the TONE size not the BORE size. For UNDER $6000, you are getting a tuba that can hold it's own in any orchestra, quintet, solo setting. This is a very impressive instrument. But, you'll need to find that out for yourself. They are as "in tune" as any CC tuba out there. Very open and warm sound.

I'm sure, within the next day or so, Fred - the WEB GURU at Dillon's - will take a good picture of one and post it at the Dillon Web page.

This is the tuba that I'm suggesting my students buy.

Scott "no, I'm NOT getting paid to say this" Mendoker

Follow Ups: