Re: Bathing the Baby

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubagoo on January 31, 2000 at 22:28:05:

In Reply to: Bathing the Baby posted by Keith C. on January 31, 2000 at 18:08:34:

My dear collegue, have no fear about taking apart a piston horn, every serious tubist, basstrombonist, and hornist must eventually learn to do it. It will save you hundreds of dollars now and through out your years. The tools required are cheap, and the technique is easy (but best learned in person). Find a horn player that does his/her own valve work and buy him/her dinner (no beer until after the task is complete). There is no good way to clean the valve with out taking a leather mallet and tapping the thing out, putting it in some light cleaning fluid (I like diluted vineagar), once in a while replace the cork or neoprene bumpers, every few years a new spring.....oil it with rotar oil, tap it all back in place (lining up the notches)....voila!!!!

I have heard of this operations costing $75 bucks a valve, its all labor...make it a labor of love....
good luck
Any one have suggestion of a site with this procedure spelled out???please pass it on

Follow Ups: