Re: F Tubas???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee A. Stofer, Jr. on January 02, 2001 at 11:10:39:

In Reply to: F Tubas??? posted by Brad on January 01, 2001 at 22:25:37:

Brad,
I totally agree with Joe, that a different approach must be employed for an F tuba. Years ago, I heard Dan Perantoni tell an audience that the low range of an F should be approached more like the low range of a bass trombone.
I play a 1981 vintage Amati 6-valve F tuba. It is a very European instrument; the thumb valve is a Quint valve, which lowers the pitch a 5th (thumb= low Bb), and the left-hand valve is a lowered half-step. This combination gives a lot of possibilities. The quint valve is located past the main tuning slide, so it is a significantly larger bore, and the low range sounds large and centered. The Amati has the traditional F-tuba sound, and is a fairly easy-to-play instrument for me. The Yamaha F, and other recently designed F tubas may play well, but have a completely different sound. I wish you luck in finding what suits you best, and also bear in mind that the Eb tuba is generally easier to play in the low range, and it is a viable alternative for solo/small ensemble playing, if you're not looking for the traditional F-tuba sound.
-Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: