Re: Re: F Tubas???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe -agreeing- S. on January 02, 2001 at 21:08:35:

In Reply to: Re: F Tubas??? posted by Rick Denney on January 02, 2001 at 11:23:29:

I bought my old B&S sight-unseen and new (didn't even ask for a six-valver...just lucked into that instrument being the one that was brought to me).

The first time I ever saw one was when the Leipzig G. Orchestra was touring the U.S. in 1978. Their tuba player at the time was an old overweight guy with not-amazing chops, but I could actually HEAR him on a Tchaik symphony playing an F tuba. THAT impressed me, and I decided that when I had the $$$$ to buy an F tuba, the B&S would be at the top of the list for consideration. At the time, they were not at all well known in the U.S., and only a couple of firms were importing them. (no "Perantucci" version, at that time, obviously).

I've played some mediocre B&S F tubas and some pretty good ones...perhaps only a couple that line up as nicely pitch-wise as the one that I bought "blindly" via a friend in Germany who was planning a trip to the U.S.

I really lucked out. If I hadn't, I might still be searching for a better one, and I might be playing a lot more engagements on CC tubas.

[no disagreement whatsoever with Rick D. - ' just happened to post here] Rick, I just spent time visiting your city. ' took my kids around to see all the sites centered around the Mall, even though it was C-O-L-D !!! Your subway system looks like a series of concert halls - WOW. FINAL REMARKS: The Yamaha F does have some alluring features. I've played on quite a few of them. The Yamaha DOES have its own sound, and that sound seems to be consistant no matter the player, as I've heard, in person, players from Sammy Pilafian down playing them. That sound is a very good sound, but absolutely identifiable.

Follow Ups: