Re: Re: Re: Re: Daily Use of Johnson Cases

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 07, 2001 at 11:41:58:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Daily Use of Johnson Cases posted by Ed Heckman on January 06, 2001 at 13:25:55:

When I shipped my York back from Oregon, I borrowed Chuck's Walt Johnson case, which I assume is the big one for 6/4 horns (my York as a 20" bell).

It is heavy.

It is big.

It fit in the back seat of a car, but all observers were surprised by that fact. And it required the rearrangement of all the seats and took 15 minutes. Get a station wagon.

The wheels are industrial casters mounted on steel plates that are bolted to the case. Those mounting plates had many sharp corners and are not what I would call user friendly. They roll nicely, and the case handles pretty well on wheels. Forget sliding them over stairs, though.

The case weighs between 40 and 50 pounds, empty. As long as you are rolling it, fine. Lifting it, though, is work. I carried the horn, in the WJ case, down Chuck's front steps, and was red-faced and puffing at the bottom. Three weeks later, I finished an Ironman triathlon, so I wasn't out of shape, heh, heh.

Rick "I'll use a gig bag--carefully--and take my chances" Denney

Follow Ups: