Re: Any Duquesne Graduates?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jason a Eupher on January 07, 2001 at 21:50:44:

In Reply to: Any Duquesne Graduates? posted by Justin Beish on January 05, 2001 at 19:02:20:

Any student graduating from Duquesne will tell you that it is extremely underrated. Dr. Brian Bowman, of euphonium fame, was the head of the Brass Department there from 1991-1999 (he now teaches at North Texas State). He truly enjoyed the program, and I believe, he had more than a few choices of fine college teaching gigs when he accepted the Duquesne job in 1991.

Neal Tidwell (tuba) and Lance Laduke (euphonium) both teach at Duquesne University as well as perform in the River City Brass Band, a fantastic brass ensemble with some SERIOUS virtuoso players. They have a web site as well. As a side note, Dr. Bowman was the principal euphonium with the River City Brass Band until he left two years ago. In addition, professors from Carnegie Mellon and other local universities fill out the personnel of the band.

Before I get slammed by the British brass community, I know that the River City Brass Band uses Horns not altos, and other brass intrumentation that precludes them from being an "official" brass band, if that's at all possible.

In a nutshell...
Duquesne is a good school with a fine history.
Where do you live?
What will your major be?
What do you want to do with the Tuba professionally?

The answers to these questions should answer your own questions.

Follow Ups: