Re: Haggmann valves on tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on January 09, 2001 at 16:32:56:

In Reply to: Haggmann valves on tuba? posted by Matt G on January 09, 2001 at 16:03:05:

The problem with 4 hagmann valves in-line on a tuba is that the route used to the passage of least resistance still requires you to have knuckles no more than 30 to 45 degrees off center-line. I know I'm preaching to the choir when I say this, but you don't want knuckles on the instrument when you have an axial-flow valve. At this juncture, I don't know if that is possible with current construction practices.

Another concern is the open-wrap needed to justify the valves. The large jupter 4-valve 582's have a larger wrap, but have piston valves. Other companies of higher prestige also have made larger and fewer wraps, but the space needed for the instrument is considerable in comparison to tighter wrap instruments.

as a player, I have enjoyed the hagmanns on a bass trombone. As a teacher, I don't know if the size of the needed wraps would make a monster out of a regular sized instrument. The damage potential to a more exposed wrap is considerable as well.

I would say that if you could invert alternate valves and have the entrances to the casings in different directions, then you might solve some of these problems.

Tom

Follow Ups: