Re: 4th valve added to Imperial?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Art on January 11, 2001 at 00:09:07:

In Reply to: 4th valve added to Imperial? posted by Kaseem on January 10, 2001 at 17:50:38:

Putting a 4th valve onto a compensated 3-valve horn would give you the worst of both worlds. You would not get the advantages of compensated 4-valve systems, nor would you get the lucky-coincidence trick fingerings that work on a non-comp system. I use my 4th valve (not compensated) primarily for better intonation on low C, B, F, and E. But those are not problems to be solved on a compensated instrument. I also use 124 for low Eb, and it can be lipped into tune. But on a compensated horn it would be lower,and harder to bring up to pitch, while 14 would be just as sharp as it is now, which is pretty useless unless you pull a slide way out. I use 234 for low D and it's pretty close to correct on a non-comp horn. But it would be way flat on a compensated horn. So a standard perfect-4th would not be much use on a compensated 3-valve horn. How about making it a "quint" valve, i.e. a perfect 5th? That would give you one note (Eb) to use it on. D would still have no good fingering, but you would be able to get a pretty good Db with 124 or 34. C would require some slide pulling, but you might get a decent low B with 1234.

Follow Ups: