Re: circular-breathing?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by james on January 11, 2001 at 21:16:41:

In Reply to: circular-breathing? posted by Kyle Cabral on January 11, 2001 at 01:52:43:

I tried the water thing. The best practice i got was just sitting around puffing out my cheeks and pushing out the air while breathing in through my nose. i did it any time i was alone(like sitting at the computer). the practice just seemed to carry over. i've found that pushing the air also slightly comes from the back of my tounge when i do this. i have to really concentrate on my tone and intonation because of this. try collecting air into your mouth so that it puffs out your cheeks. then stop it off with the back part of your tongue to make a "compartment" of air in your mouth. now push out with your cheeks while trying to push your tongue hard against the back of the roof of your mouth. to do this, it feels like i can't help but take in air as i do it. try it. it might work for you. of course you don't want to block your throat while playing but it helps you get used to the feeling of circular breathing. now just work on moving your tongue and applying it to the horn. maybe even do that same trick while playing and slowly working the tongue down in your mouth.

james

Follow Ups: