Re: BB York on Ebay

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark in Ohio on January 12, 2001 at 11:23:20:

In Reply to: BB York on Ebay posted by Duke on January 11, 2001 at 15:25:51:

Duke,

This horn appears identical to one I own. The serial number indicated is only 171 shy of mine(!), so it was likely built in the same year (somewhere between 1913-18), probably on the same mandrels! Dig that funky fourth valve wrap around the top bow.

As for joe's comment below about the bore, mine is about .660", not ,750. As it appears absolutely identical to mine in the indicated specs and photos (I looked real close), I would bet this one is the smaller bore.

Mine is presently awaiting a restoration/front-action conversion (but I'm keeping her in BBb). Mine has seen some significant dents, and several small leaks and therefore plays poorly at the moment, so it's tough to give an honest eval of the response or intonation of it. the sound, however, is really nice and very (for lack of a better term) "York-ish". Like the new Conn 56J and the Getzen G-50, The sound quality defies the compact size.

As mentioned by one poster below, it is a bit tiring to hold for long in its top-action configuration. She's heavy for her size, and that nice bell makes 'er want to tip to the right.

Be aware that this horn has the now-infamous patented conversion loop for high-to-low pitch standards (A440 was not universal until the 1950s). I notice in the photo that the slide is waaay pulled out.

If it plays as well as it looks, it would probably be worth $1500. It appears well cared for.

Good luck! If the soon-to-be winning bidder is reading this post, Please let me/us know how it plays!

~-o^o-~ Mark Mazak

Follow Ups: