Re: It occurs to me

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on January 12, 2001 at 16:37:28:

In Reply to: It occurs to me posted by Joe S. on January 11, 2001 at 20:15:32:

Being a thrifty shopper and a person who looks for the good deals, I would like to chime in on Joe's side in this thread. (not that he needs my defense).

I am one of those who looks for those $XXX deals. I buy for my school the best that I can get for the dollar. When I can find a good instrument that needs massive repairs, but will cost less than a new instrument, I buy it without a second guess. Many small schools are in the same situation, and they do without. I will make do with the best I can get while I can.

I teach in a small school with about 300 students 6-12. In this, I have a band program of about 130 instrumentalist. This includes 8 tuba players, and 5 baritone players. we don't have a large budget, so I will buy those $600.00 metal 20ks and 14ks whenever I can get one.

Where this fits into this thread is here. If I buy something that needs to be rebuilt, then it gets rebuilt. If I look at a tuba and see a good instrument, and the repairman sees a futile effort to make the instrument right, I will consider a rebuild to something different. I will also consider trades, swaps, deals, or anything else to get instruments in kids' hands.

Joe has made some fine tubas. I got to try a cut 4+1 CC that he made back around 1990. It was beautiful in tone and intonation. (also very good craftsmanship). If I had the money at the time, I would have bought the instrument. I am sure that the instrument was the result of 2 or more old tubas that were not in the condition to stand on their own.

I'm sorry if this statement insuts anyone, but a good instrument playing wise is better than an instrument in bad condition hanging in a restraunt or in someone's garage.

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: