Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pitch of B&H Euphoniums

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 12, 2001 at 18:27:58:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pitch of B&H Euphoniums posted by Chuck(G) on January 12, 2001 at 17:14:22:

Actually, my objective was to not stretch out the metal too much, or remove any metal. I didn't want a complete overhaul--otherwise I'd have sent it to somebody. I just wanted it approximately round where it's supposed to be round, and it's there.

There are some small dents in the valve knuckles that I didn't attempt to remove, and they could be affecting things a little bit.

But, overall, the horn is fairly uniformly flat.

I fixed the several leaks in the tubing. Knowing that the valves are causing the problem probably isn't that useful, because I'm not inclined to have them redone. That would be quite costly, and I don't play euphonium enough to be worth the cost. Shortening the slide is looking better and better as a quick fix. It would only take about an inch, which is fully reversible.

But I'm bringing it to Fort Myer to let the good guys look at it and render an opinion--I've already worked it out with Matt to look at the 4th valve stem.

If the flatness is a common congential defect, however, then that reduces the likelihood of other fundamental problems.

Rick "such as my playing" Denney

Follow Ups: