Re: Re: It occurs to me

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 12, 2001 at 19:05:22:

In Reply to: Re: It occurs to me posted by Jay Bertolet on January 12, 2001 at 18:20:54:

Bevan made a typically British statement along these lines in his new book. I don't remember his wording, but the American paraphrase is something like...

"It is ironic that the world's greatest performers are seeking tubas that copy an instrument made 70 years ago by a company that no longer exists... this gives the lie to much of what modern marketers of tubas have to say about progress."

So, do we know everything Bill Johnson knew when he designed the best Yorks? Perhaps, and perhaps is was just lucky. Perhaps not. But it's a little like asking if we know everything Stradivarius or Guarnerius knew. Obviously not, because new instruments are not given the same respect.

Until we are sure we understand what makes the Chicago York *THE* York, or what it is that makes an old top-action BBb York have that magic sound, folks will want to recycle those old instruments to keep them going and render them useful again by those who can appreciate their special qualities.

Rick "Happy with my BBb York Master" Denney

Follow Ups: