Re: Chicago York

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on January 13, 2001 at 01:26:18:

In Reply to: Chicago York posted by Tom B. on January 13, 2001 at 00:56:16:

I think that UNDOUBTEDLY some of the York-mania is due to the celebrity of this pair of tubas. HOWEVER, York tubas (in general - big or jumbo) have a signature "sound" that is currently not available for sale "new". There ARE INDEED some "warm" old Conn, King, Buescher, and Martin tubas, but not quite like York instruments.

The C.S.O. York is the easiest-playing jumbo tuba that I have ever tooted on (for twenty minutes or less). No one, however, should be under the impression that it is a problem-free instrument, as Gene will quickly agree - and with specifics.

Some remarkable things are:
-the volume (loudness) of sound vs. effort
-the perfect balance of "resistance" and "free-flow" of the air stream (It "puffs".)
-the ease of slurs (all types)
-the overall willingness (eagerness!) of the instrument to resonate (False tones sound almost legitimate. Gene would argue that the false tones sound BETTER than their 2nd partial equivalents. I would disagree, but HE is the MAN, and he has played this tuba "just a wee bit" more than I have. Further, Mr. Jacobs utilized false tones on these instruments.)
-I haven't played any other jumbo tubas that I thought might "pass" as all-around tubas. I REALLY don't think that I would use that instrument as a solo or quintet instrument (although the temptation to play it as often as possible would be there), but I actually think that I COULD, and without complaints from others.

Its not magic, but it IS the best. The "magic" was Mr. Jacobs' and is Mr. Pokorny's.

Note (Don't read this.): Originally the "5th" rotor on the instrument was meant to give the player a "double tuba" type of option, as CC instruments (obviously) were (and still sort of are) out of the norm. The rotor offered a "quick change" to BBb. I'm quite certain that no one - even its original owner in Philly - used the rotor for that purpose, but immediately discovered the "modern day" uses for the "fifth" rotor. HOWEVER!!!, if any of you BBb historical/preservationalist guys would like to become members of the C.S.O. Board of Directors, you could make - as one of your goals - a RULE that the C.S.O. tubaist must play the York tuba with the rotor key DEPRESSED AT ALL TIMES!!!

Follow Ups: