My first audition on the other side-long

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Farah Chisham on January 13, 2001 at 10:08:43:

After sitting on the opposite side of the screen, I have realized that it is tough to win an audition. Not only do you have to be a good player, but you must play with style, musicality, and (ahem) gusto when the music calls for it. Let me begin with the easy list of what the committee is hearing:

· The screen takes a lot of clarity away. Every player sounded "thuddy" until someone else told me, it's much different when the screen comes down.
· I am absolutely convinced that the most difficult round is the first. Always be aware that the screen does damper some projection. It's like placing a big piece of carpet in your practice room.
· Thank goodness that there was a screen for a few people because the look of disgust would have been very evident.
· "Noodling" before beginning the excerpts. Please, please, don't play arpeggios. Just play a couple nice long, full notes and make them the most comfortable notes to you. But do play something!! Don't worry, but the committee can tell a lot from these first few notes, but you will not be judged on it, unless you play "Hot Cross Buns." And if you do that, you WILL amuse the committee and they will appreciate it. Trust me, if you are #30 in 80 people, they will be bored by then.
· If you do play "Hot Cross Buns," then do it with a nice open sound and very slowly.

A few items the committee will appreciate:

· Do pause between excerpts especially if it is going well, because you want to give them time to write down all of the wonderful comments about you. With one candidate, s/he started playing before I even had time to finish my comments-that was rather frustrating.
· Musicality!!! If you have p marked at the beginning and ff at the end, MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
· If one excerpt has ff at the beginning, do it! Scare the committee! It will wake them up.
· Be sure to be able to play on all opposite spectrums. Soft, loud and high, low and combined. The committee may want you to play something louder-be able to do it. One candidate had a beautiful sound but wasn't hired because s/he could not play loud. This is something easy to fix-always "push the envelope" while practicing.
· When the screen comes down and someone other that the appointed speaker asks you to do something differently. Really listen to what they are saying and ask them to clarify if you need to. If you don't get it the second time, they won't give you another chance.

Personal observations (remember, these are my opinions, ONLY):

· When the screen came down, the candidate who barely squeaked into the finals, came out sounding the best. GET PAST THAT FIRST ROUND!!
· When you leave the room and close the door, be sure not to slam it.
· If there are only 4 of you auditioning and you personally only play one excerpt, just pack up and get ready to go home.
· I never once noticed a candidate missing notes. I was purely listening for sound, articulation, and intonation. There was one who missed a number more notes than the others, but that would not have lost him the audition. If it was for the Chicago Symphony, they may be pickier.
· Dress nicely. It does make a difference.
· Relax. The committee wants to hear pretty playing. Don't rush yourself on excerpts. Unless you are realllly worried about breathing, play the excerpts slower than marked, but be prepared to play it faster.
· If you are positive you can play the excerpt better, then don't be afraid to ask to play it again. (If the screen is up, be sure to ask the proctor QUIETLY.)
· If the floor is hardwood in the screened part of the audition, take off your shoes if they make noise at all. Especially if you are wearing "loud" shoes. (This applies to both men and women.)
· There is no harm in asking if you can get copies of the comment sheets.

Now, these are my opinions only and the things I mentioned may or may not have happened at the audition I observed. I hope this will help some of you getting ready for that first audition.

Follow Ups: