Re: Re: Burns' "Jazz"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Carl L on January 13, 2001 at 15:30:38:

In Reply to: Re: Burns' "Jazz" posted by Joe S. on January 13, 2001 at 01:51:12:

O.k. Joe. After watching the THIRD day of the Armstrong/Ellington love fest, I rest my case. I totally agree,as I stated, there is no question Armstrong was a great player and influence. And, as a matter of fact, as a trumpet player in high school, I started a collection of every recording of Armstrong's I could get my hands on. That having been said...I am saying there is NOT enough exposure of the total jazz movement, of the dozen or so pioneers who ALSO contributed a great deal to jazz's history. Kid Ory gets a one sentence mention? Johnny Dodds? I fully understand the restrictions Burns worked under, trying to squeeze in the entire jazz movement into a "series". But there is a much wider scope, a much vaster movement afoot that INCLUDES Armstrong but EXPANDS beyond one person. Here's to Luis and ALL those who created and perfected jazz- regardless of color. Or, can we rename the series "A Few Great Jazzmen Who Influenced The Movement"? Peace, love, and brotherhood...

Follow Ups: