Re: Help! I have a student with Dislexia

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on January 13, 2001 at 17:06:38:

In Reply to: Help! I have a student with Dislexia posted by Kendall Prinz on January 12, 2001 at 17:43:28:

I find I must agree with the other posters who say you can teach dyslexic children. I have even had some success with moderately mentally challenged children at elementary and Junior High levels (I didn't teach High School music in that job). I did find one subsequent teacher was teaching scales with a piece of paper with note names, not note pictures. This caused one of the students a great deal of confusion and her mother (also a teacher who had worked on the kid's math skills, successfully) had a conference with the teacher and stopped her note name approach. While David Allen split the effort, I found non-verbal methods would work better and alone. My wife, far more educated in learning styles than I, tells me the brain segment used for picture ===> sound is different from the segment used in something like reading. I used almost totally non-verbal communication for dyslexic kids.

Follow Ups: