Re: Chicago York

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Henry on January 13, 2001 at 21:25:49:

In Reply to: Chicago York posted by Tom B. on January 13, 2001 at 00:56:16:

Tom,
Before I start I will remind everyone that this is just my opinions.
I have listened to the latest cd of Arnold Jacobs. He sounds fabulous on every instrument that he plays. I think that he would have sounded great on any tuba. Also, I think that some of the credit should be given to the York. I have not played many York tubas and I have never played one of the really huge ones but I think that the design of the instrument is very good and that is why it was copied by so many people. One thing to mention is that the York tuba has a higher content of copper in the metal (At least that is what I have been told), around 80 percent copper. This, in my opinion gives the horn some of its sound.
As for Mr. Jacobs not liking the York, from what I have heard, that would be impossible.
I don't think that the York craze would be nearly as big as it is now if Mr. Jacobs had not played one. Although I feel that whatever tuba he played, people would have wanted.
One last thought, these are my opinions and I am by no means a successful tuba player, just a guy who loves the tuba and has way too many all tuba cd's.
Henry

Follow Ups: