Re: How do you protect the bottom bow?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on January 14, 2001 at 14:32:00:

In Reply to: How do you protect the bottom bow? posted by Aruba Tuba on January 13, 2001 at 23:50:27:

Whatever you end up using, it's a good idea to remove it regularly. In college, our souzys had the pads around the bottom bow, and every year when I checked one out, I'd remove the pad. Invariably, there was some kind of schmutz, tarnish, rot, etc. underneath that pad. The extent was determined by how long the pad had been in place. Of course, I hope you won't subject your horn to the abuse freely given sousaphones in marching band. Just if you use a pad there, it has to stay dry and clean. When you remove the pad to bathe your horn every 6 mos., that should be often enough.

Another player in the section had a cover on the bottom bow of his concert horn. He finally took off the cover after about three years, and there was a lot of crud under there. It will amaze you that, even though you are careful, stuff will get under there. The stuff that gets under there is IMO, far more abrasive than your trousers, and chances are the pad will move a little. That's why I would rather just lay a black towel across my lap, and be really careful otherwise.

Steve "wish my horn was nice enough to worry" Dedman

Follow Ups: