Re: Re: Re: I just played

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 14, 2001 at 15:05:48:

In Reply to: Re: Re: I just played posted by Sean Chisham on January 14, 2001 at 10:05:58:

I know from our conversations that your Yorkbrunner is a newer one. In fact, several people have told me that the newer ones are superior. And I'm very glad that yours works for you! I am very curious to hear the recordings we have made recently with me using my Nirschl because I don't really have a solid handle on how well it projects compared to how well it sounds up close. I have a good idea because I'm very familiar with the halls we play in and I can tell certain things from what I hear back in reverb. But the quality of the projection is something I can't comment on conclusively yet because I'm still getting used to the horn.

I can tell you that the intonation thing is highly underrated on the Nirschl. I have heard this comment from MANY people and I was really apprehensive to seriously consider this horn after I had heard all the stories. But I can report that the combination of this Nirschl and a Laskey 30H mouthpiece has yielded the best intonation I have ever experienced on any horn. No kidding, I am not using a single alternate fingering. Not one! And I'm not having to pull slides at all. The only time I'm ever really messing with the intonation on the horn is when I'm adjusting to given situations. You ensemble players all know what I mean. I've even gotten into the (bad) habit of resting my hand on the inside curve of the top bow rather than on the first valve slide. I have no plan to put a main tuning slide stick on the horn because it doesn't need it. All my other horns have this device.

What my Nirschl has proven to me is that it really is true that every player is different and that every combination of horn + mouthpiece + player has the potential to be the right one. I hope your horn works as well for you!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: