Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which CC tuba???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on January 15, 2001 at 23:24:55:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which CC tuba??? posted by An old issue on January 15, 2001 at 19:00:12:

My guess is that Peter Hirsbrunner and Willi Kurath sell their instruments to their U.S. distributors (Cussed 'em & D.E.G., respectively) for about the same price for about the same size/type of instruments.

Cussed 'em wants to be THE importer/RETAILER of Hirsbrunner, and D.E.G. is willing to be the importer/DISTRIBUTOR of Willson and to have established retail outlets sell the Willson products to the consumers.

I.M.O., Willi Kurath (in comparable "WHOLESALE" price ranges) makes better instruments. For instance, if one "HAD" to pay $13,500 (retail) for a Willson 3050CC (actually available "retail" for under $9K), I would STILL choose a Willson 3050CC "hands down" over a Hirsbrunner 21 at $13,500.

The result of the artificial (??) pricing of HB in the US has caused quited a few Americans to go to Europe to purchase them. This isn't true, however, of Willsons. Also, due to the pricing thing and production capabilities, there ALWAYS is a BIG wait (often 6 months, unless a retailer "back fills" their stock) for a Willson 3050CC, and not nearly so long of a "wait" (if much of any at all) for a HB-21.

Interestingly, the Cussed 'em HB model #'s aren't even the manufacturer's model #'s. If one refers to the HB website, the various tubas are identified by the MANUFACTURER's model #'s. Was this model # "cloaking" devised in order to make cross-continental comparison shopping more difficult?

As far as "under $10 grand" is concerned, its hard to beat Mira- 186 & 188 at W-A-Y below $10K. The MW2155, I.M.O., has never quite "made it", and nor have the RM's (I.M.O.- ' been there - ' done that)...and sorry, but I'm just not a "Yama-yama Man". Curiously, the "Millenium" model MW2155 (at least the one that I played) "wails", but THAT version is NOT under $10K...

...hmmm, I guess I'll just keep cuttin' and splicin' until I hit on something I like.

Follow Ups: