Re: Re: YFB-621 vs. YEB-321/381?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Still puzzled in Kokomo on January 18, 2001 at 10:48:26:

In Reply to: Re: YFB-621 vs. YEB-321/381? posted by Tony Clements on January 18, 2001 at 10:38:12:

Okay, I believe the reported sound difference -- 621F has a smaller, tighter, brighter sound than the 321/381 Eb, as the Eb is a whole step lower, and has a bell about an inch larger in diameter.

But I'm confused as to the "size" difference you report. Since these two tubas are almost identical in size (same bore, one whole step different in pitch, Eb bell only 6% larger than the F bell), I would think that relatively speaking the LOWER PITCHED of two similarly sized horns would be characterized as SMALLER with respect to other horns with the same pitch. So I'd expect to hear that the 621F is 3/4, but if so, then that the 321 Eb was a 1/2 sized Eb, not full sized. How can an Eb that's essentially the same size physically as a similar F be a full-sized Eb, when the F is a 3/4 or 1/2 size? I must be missing something here -- please help! Are you basing this description more on how the horn sounds/plays than the actual physical size?

Thanks for your opinions/impressions/explanations!

Steve "still a bit puzzled" Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: