Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OK, enough jawin' and worryin'

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by RD on January 18, 2001 at 12:13:33:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OK, enough jawin' and worryin' posted by Joe S. on January 17, 2001 at 20:11:40:

It wasn't the openness of the wrap I was trying to defend. I agree that open wrap is overblown (so to speak). I had a Vespro tuba once that was a nice little horn, but the fourth valve was nothing special despite that it was about as open as it can be and still fit on the horn.

But there's something in the fourth valve of that horn. I'll take your word for it that it is the rest of the horn.

As to the pea-shooter mouthpipe: Are you talking about the receiver? Mine is tiny--just very slightly larger than a bass trombone. Mouthpieces with an "American" shank fit okay, but a Denis Wick (not L) fits better. Even so, the leadpipe expands from the receiver quite radically, and I'd call it a pretty big mouthpipe. Is yours the same?

Tuesday night I did find my upper dynamic limit on the horn, on an arrangement Stars and Stripes Forever. The arrangement was different than the version that is permanently ingrained in my head, and I was concentrating on reading the music and not on controlling my sound. Sure enough, I really laid a big egg on one of those half-note swells. I was trying to balance an exuberant band by myself. A 20K would have been nice.

Rick "or the forward bell for the York (hint to Chris)" Denney

Follow Ups: