Re: Tuba Study

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 18, 2001 at 12:43:45:

In Reply to: Tuba Study posted by Dean on January 18, 2001 at 12:20:07:

I looked into something similar when I was grad school many years ago. (I was attending ESU in Texas--that is--Enormous State University, heh, heh.) I thought it would be valuable to take a few music courses as part of my program, and perhaps a few lessons from the faculty tuba players. When I made inquiries, I was told in no uncertain terms that the music courses that interested me were reserved for music majors, and that I would have to transfer to that program, including passing an audition, before I could even audit those classes. And the tuba professor there told me that he only taught "players with professional potential and aspirations."

So, I drove down to San Antonio and took lessons from Mike Sanders. I wish I'd taken more. I didn't learn as much theory, but I sure as heck heard some sounds that I would not have heard in that ESU studio. I'm still building on what I learned in those few lessons 15 years ago.

My vote is to find a real player who is willing to work with you on a private basis at the level you want. I think you'll gain more from that experience than you'll gain in a college program that has to meet all sorts of standards not related to your playing. It will probably cost you less, too, and your money will more efficiently improve your playing.

Rick "wishing he had taken more lessons" Denney

Follow Ups: