Dental Work

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Aubrey Foard on January 18, 2001 at 23:55:06:

All this talk of cut wisdom teeth and braces out reminded me of a trumpet player I know who fell down a flight of outdoor stairs in February last year and slammed his face on a pole. He lost two teeth as a result, but was able to play again in two months. How? He had a cast of his teeth made before the accident and they were able to efficiently replicate his previous teeth with falsies. I write this just to urge or remind all of you who care for their embourchures to get a cast made of your teeth in case something so unfortunate should happen to you. Even the slightest change in embourchure can alter your playing drastically and possibly for your entire life. Don't let a simple accident ruin it.

Also, when you look for a dentist, get a good one. I wouldn't trust any dentist with my teeth unless he or she is a wind player (luckily there's a bass trombonist dentist in town). When my teacher was getting his cast done, the dentist accidentally tore his lip, rendering him unable to play for some time. Get a dentist who knows the delicacies of a musician's embourchure.

Follow Ups: