Re: Re: loans for instrument purchases...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on January 19, 2001 at 18:42:33:

In Reply to: Re: loans for instrument purchases... posted by sven on January 19, 2001 at 18:11:02:

That is exactly how I purchased my first Hirsbrunner durign my 4th year of undergrad. You need to get together with someone in your department who has a bit of clout and have them sign on to the idea. Put together a proposal which explains how your financial need must be raised in order to purchase the degree required equipment. Financial aid departments raise the need for art majors to buy art supplies. They also raise it for some other degree programs which have high costs for school supplies and equipment.

The keywords are "I am requesting my financial need be raised by $10,000 for the 2001-2002 school year in order to purchase a musical instrument required to properly complete my music degree." Or something along that line. They cannot giev you extra financial aid money unless you have a need for it. Need is based on school related expenses such as tuition, room and board, books, and supplies. You and a professor need to work up the proposal and then visit, in person, with a decision maker in the financial aid department. Don't try to do it over the phone, or through the mail.

There are a few caveats. You must qualify for the extra financial aid, which is sounds like you probably do. You will not get the money in one semester. It will probably be divided into 2 payments given out in August and January along with your other financial aid. You must be smart about the money and not use it for anything else which you may see as necessary, like fixing a broken down car, paying off credit cards, or getting those elective pectoral implants. Put the money somewhere which is difficult to get to and maybe even earns a little interest from August to January, when the other half comes along.

Put in your proposal as much substantiating info as possible, including a quote from the vendor you are purchasing the horn from, along with a gig bag, case, and mouthpiece. Not sure what you have in mind, but $10,000 will probably get you a pretty good setup.

Lastly, student loans suck when it comes time to pay them back. Want some more advice. Buy the horn with student loans, then join the military for 3 years after graduation and have Uncle Sam pay of the whole balance in one enlistment. I know the Army and Navy have loan repayment programs, but there may be others too. I know that I am very pleased to no longer be facing 10 years of way high payments. You'll end up with the horn and all your student loans paid off faster than a typical car loan. It's a heck of a deal.

sean

Follow Ups: