Upcoming events at UGA

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Zerkel on January 22, 2001 at 08:47:28:

Brass Season is kicking into high gear at UGA, so I thought I'd post some information regarding some upcoming events that might be of interest.

I was lucky enough to snag two great soloists in one week, Scott Watson of Kansas University and Neal Corwell, euphonium soloist/composer extraordinaire. Here are their dates and times:

Guest recital featuring Scott Watson, tubist. February 5, 8PM, Edge Recital Hall
Guest recital featuring Neal Corwell, euphonium. February 9, 8PM, Edge Recital Hall

UGA will be hosting its bi-annual Brass Quintet Competition and Festival between March 14 and March 18. It is a fabulous week of brass music and a great opportunity for any quintet, student or professional, to compete for some decent cash prizes.

As a tubist, I look especially forward to this year's slate of artists. Walter Hilgers, Jonathan Sass, Dan Perantoni, Charlie Villarubia, and Mike Moore will be on campus during this week performing with their respective chamber music groups: The German Brass, Art of Brass Vienna, St. Louis Brass Quintet, Rhythm and Brass and the Atlanta Symphony Brass Quintet. Harvey Phillips will serve on competition juries and will serve as the week's guest of honor.

If you are in a quintet, it is not too late to enter if you'd like to compete. If you'd just like to come to hear some great brass playing, that's okay too!

More information about the festival can be locted at the link below.

If you have any questions about the festival, please don't hesitate to drop me an e-mail. Hope to see some of you soon!

Dave Zerkel
Assistant Professor of Tuba and Euphonium
University of Georgia

Follow Ups: