Re: Re: 7 Valve Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on January 24, 2001 at 20:24:56:

In Reply to: Re: 7 Valve Tuba posted by Frederick J. Young on January 24, 2001 at 17:55:25:

I met you once a LONG time ago (I was a senior in high school.) at a Tennessee-Kentucky T.U.B.A. shindig in Knoxville. Jim Self was the tuba teacher at U.T. at the time, and I believe that it must have been in 1974.

You didn't have the 7-valve device at the time, but you DID have the King there (the one that sat on the floor when played, because it had one less "turn" in it). Was that the tuba that you started with for the "double tuba" project?

I respect very much all of the time and effort that you put in on your project (' have seen the picture on the web). As to converting to that system, I'm pretty set in my ways and I think I'll just enjoy "looking".

Incidentally, I came across one of the Reynolds "Dr. Young" tuba mouthpieces (a "french horn" mouthpiece "on steroids" :-) recently. I gave it to a friend as a gift, because he had been very kind to me.

Do I also remember that you were accompanied by a friend (Knoxville, '74) who brought some gigantic Cervany BBb tuba to that conference?

Follow Ups: