Re: Re: Re: WTP: Yamaha YFB-621 3/4 F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve again on January 24, 2001 at 21:30:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: WTP: Yamaha YFB-621 3/4 F posted by Lew on January 24, 2001 at 15:41:21:

My desire is that both tubas overlap at the quintet sized group. I'd like to have a contrabass that isn't too big to play most quintet literature on, and a bass tuba that's not to small to play a significant amount of quintet literature on.

Hence I'd like a contrabass with the best possible upper register, but still big enough for a 20 pc. pit orchestra or a 15 pc. brass choir, or to be one of two tubas in a 50pc community wind ensemble.

I think a 3/4 Rudy Meinl CC, a 4/4 Miraphone 186-5uCC, or something along these lines probably fits this bill the best. The other advantage of picking CC is that there's a larger selection of horns to consider on both the new and used market. Same thing for F, vs. Eb.

I *will* however, give the thought of BBb/Eb a LOOOONNGGG hard thought, before finalizing my decision to switch to CC/F, because: 1) the Besson 983 does indeed work well for quintet and even quartet, and 2) I know those fingerings!

Thanks!

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: