Dr. Fred J. Marzan

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dominic Marino on January 24, 2001 at 21:49:28:

I would just like to tell you all that Dr. Marzan is in very good spirits and enjoys reading what you have said about him and his tubas. He recently (today...Jan. 24) came across all these postings as the local buddy roger's man, Greg Stauffer, printed all 117 entries out and gave them to him.
Right now I am his main student. Tom Proud, another I've seen on this board, was a student of his a few years back, so listen to what he is saying also.
Fred has been sick lately, though vivacious as a dog! I'd say he's a lively one, for being in his 70's. He still can blow the bell of a tuba and make a real musician out of anyone. If anyone wants pictures or has important questions for the man, just let me know.
I believe he still owns 5 of his Tubas....make that 4...he just sold a BB, but NOTHING compares to his Saunder. He is in love with that tuba. It's solid copper, as are a few of his own, and he says it's the only horn in the world that has EVERY note blow in tune.
Dr. Marzan studied with William Bell. He lived in Pittsburgh and had to hitchike once a week to New York for lessons with Bell. BB McCulloh told me a story of how he had the pleasure of hitchiking with Fred with an opheclide. Fred studied at Eastman of Rochester and played under Frederick Fennel there. He eventually obtained his Phd at Indiana (I believe) and went on to play in the Pittsburgh Symphony and the Oklahoma Symphony. I believe he may have had a few conducting stints also. He taught at many universities and clinics for many years and then started designing tubas with Bill Bell. I forget why he didnt continue. He still has a bunch of catalogs of his instruments for when DEG was marketing them. He made them with the purpose of not needing the excess crap and being able to blow in tune, which he succeded in.

I hope I have been of some help,
Dominic Marino

Follow Ups: