Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ARMYTEC Review (long!)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Paul Gramann on January 30, 2001 at 14:03:51:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: ARMYTEC Review (long!) posted by David L. Allen on January 29, 2001 at 23:26:04:

I have always thought (and even posted) that you shouldn't miss the Saturday recitals. In the past they have been simply inspiring.

This year's Saturday morning recital program was, in fact, a different kind of a program. Instead of the usual up close and informal pyrotechnics from some up and comers (that I had come to expect), I was treated to performances by some of the "trusted old guard". They may not have had the flowing tone or flawless technique that I heard at other times in the weekend, that was obvious to everyone. But these are the work horses of the Tuba/euph community that stick with it - without the glorious solo careers, without the notoriety, without the big salaries, often without public thanks. They've work hard behind the scenes, taught the babies to play, wrote and performed tuba music before people took the tuba seriously, and the tuba/euph world is where it is today as a result of standing on their shoulders, whether we know it or not.

There where a number younger folks who walked out of the hall about midway through the recital. In time, when they have put in they're time, they'll come to understand that sometimes there's more to a recital than superhuman technique and tone. Sometime you stay to appreciate where we've come from, how far we've come, and to applaud the effort of those who we are indebted to.

--paul;

Follow Ups: